Name of the Institution
Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Fisheries.
Role of the Institution
The Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Fisheries strives to promote and support the development of the Agricultural Sector, such that high quality products are produced in compliance with the standards of the World Trade Organization (WTO). Because of the sustainable development of this sector and the agro-industry, there is a significant contribution to the economy of Suriname in the form of jobs and income of foreign exchange (through export).
- Food security and food safety for the entire population.
- Income generation and increased incomes for entrepreneurs and growth for entrepreneurs and workers in the sector.
- Increased contribution to the national economy through increased production, improved productivity, exports, income generation and adequate income distribution.
Strategies for the Agricultural Sector
- Attaining and guaranteeing food security for the entire Surinamese nation.
- Assuring agricultural health and food safety.
- Developing a sustainable agricultural sector.
- Envisage the development of the Surinamese agricultural sector into the food producer of the Caribbean Region.
- See to putting in place the requirements for the sustainable development of the agricultural sector.
- Manage the prerequisites and possible risks during phase of implementing the agricultural policy.
Objectives of the institution as to its information
To provide timely information on the agricultural sector on a continuous manner to all stakeholders, through an efficient and reliable Suriname Agricultural Information System (SAIS) . The information that is collected, processed and analyzed is also being used for several planning purposes and policy formulation regarding sustainable rural and agricultural development.
Operational structure of the information area
Data is collected in the field and transferred to the responsible staff member at the district offices. The district offices send the data to the Division of Agricultural Statistics, where the data is processed and analyzed and then published annually. Retail prices are being collected at the public markets.
Specific activities that they carry out
- Annual report of the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Fisheries.
- Annual publication of the Agricultural Statistics.
Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Fisheries
Grace Del Prado